Have you just had a baby?
Well congratulations are in order!
Having a baby and becoming a mum is one of life’s greatest achievements. With this new venture ahead, you might be thinking of getting back into exercise and may ask if it is safe to do so.
If this is you, then keep reading!
Usually if there are no complications, it is safe to start exercising after 6 weeks post-delivery, however you must check with your doctor first to get the all clear.
Benefits Of Mums & Bubs Pilates
- Good for abdominal separation and pelvic floor strengthening
- Help tone and strengthen upper body and back muscles (these may get sore/tight when holding and feeding bubs all the time)
- Increase core control and stability
- Improve wellbeing by increasing energy levels
What Is My Pelvic Floor?
Your pelvic floor muscles are the layer of muscles from the front to your back passage that support the pelvic organs.
These can become quite weak and may tear during childbirth, which is why gradual strengthening is so important after birth.
If you neglect your pelvic floor this may lead to incontinence.
Find out more information from The Continence Foundation of Australia here.
Post Natal Exercises
If you are interested in starting exercise after your pregnancy, pilates or any low impact exercise such as walking, yoga or gentle aqua aerobics is a great place to start.
At Phyx. we offer unique and exclusive Mums and Bubs pilates classes.
This is a great place to get started, which offers specific post-natal exercises, run by our friendly and supportive physio’s.
Mums And Bubs Pilates Classes
- Suitable for all mums 6 weeks post-partum (cleared by their Dr) and before bubs are on the move (generally 9 or 10 months)
- All fitness levels welcome
- Classes are capped at 6 mums (and their bubs)
- Taught by our physio’s who will provide a safe environment for your return to exercise
- Bring along anything that might help your little angel keep calm and happy in a new environment (eg. favourite toys, blanket).
- We have a spare room if you would like to feed your baby.
In these small group classes, you will learn how to safely activate your pelvic floor, while strengthening and toning your entire body with a special focus on core control.
We ask you to bring along anything that bubs need and if they are unsettled, we can alter exercises for you to do together. (And our physios are always up for a cuddle too).
To get started you will need to come see one of our lovely physios to ease you into pilates and show you how the classes work.
In this appointment they will get a good understanding of your labour and birth, check if you have any abdominal separation and teach you how to activate your pelvic floor.
If this interests you and you are keen to get back into exercising, please feel free to contact us or send us an email.
We are more than happy to offer advice and answer any questions.
You can book your initial Mums and Bubs Appointment online. Select “New Patient Appointment”.
We look forward to seeing you (and your bub soon).